How did you accquire your R ?

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I have liked the 2000 Cobra R's since they came out, in fact a Ford dealer close by had one sitting in the show room for over 2 years. I have always had Mustangs and a couple years ago bought a 04 Mach 1. Did some suspension work and was enjoying it when I found a 03 Cobra. In the middle of all this I helped a friend purchase his Cobra R and fell in love with them all over again. Well the Mach left and I was happy with the Cobra, then Brian (00R 155) saw a Cobra R for sale, contacted the owner and then me. After several phone calls and a lot of emails I decided to purchase the car. I was in the middle of negotiating on a 95R when this all took place. I have put about 1600 miles on the car in the first 6 months of ownership, now come the track miles later this summer.

JoeJ

Established Member
A couple of months before the 2000 Cobra R hit the show rooms, I asked my neighbor who worked for a local Ford dealer, if they were getting one. He said they would get one but it was already contracted for. A couple weeks later, he said that the contract had fell thru and asked me to come talk to them. My daily driver at the time was a 300ZX twin turbo with a stage two engine. I talked to them but they wanted too much for the car. I took the sales manager out for a ride in my 300ZX and when we got back, he asked if I was really going to run the car on the track. Of course I said yes, and he make me a special deal for the car. It now has over 15,000 track miles and still going strong. I have enjoyed the car so much and have met so many great friends around the US. I think I should give special thanks to Kevin Rogers who allowed me to purchase the car. The car has a special place in my heart as it started me running open track.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Cool story, and great track pic, Joe! Your R, and R 155, spent many track miles chasing each other.

I was hunting for a low mileage 00R a couple years ago. I failed to make a deal on a few cars, and kept seeing R 155 on Ebay.. never meeting it's reserve. At first it's open track mods steered me away. But, as I realized I would like to open track whichever R I purchased... 155 became more appealing. I could save thousands in track mods, with the single purchase of 155. With the help of my good friend, Cobrakidz (Bruce), I scored the car for $500 over it's reserve price.

It wasn't until a few days later someone here on SVTP informed me of Andy's history with the car. Before the car even arrived at my house I had spoken several times with Andy, and realized I scored quite an R!

Thanks, again, Andy! :beer:

It should be noted too... Cobrakidz was "infected" with the R bug after helping me aquire 155... and is why he currently owns R 160! LOL

155 and 160 at the Knotts Berry Farm Fabulous Fords Forever 2010 show...
2lo2p3l.jpg

Last edited:

Dealer962

Established Member
Hey Guys, I am a new member on here and figured I would share my stories on my Cobra R's. I have been collecting these for years and kind of been away from forums and the spotlight.
It started when my father had made me bid on a 2000 R with 300 miles back in 2005 on ebay. He wanted one and was persistant about it. Well long story short, he won the bid at a very good price at the time and when the car came in, he looked at it, then looked at me and handed me the key and title and said, it was all mine. What a great "father son" moment that i will never forget.
It all started with the 2000 R and then it was like a drug.
I went on to accidentally buy a 1995 R at an auction that i literally walked into and could not believe.. It was one running through the auction block. I made a fast decision and purchased it. I later found out after the fact it was BoB Boundarants personal 95 R that he drove to and from work. That was another good day.
And then i just had to complete the collection as I have always been a mustang fanatic. I came across a 1993 R with 59 miles and obviously I had to aquire that one. So thanks to my dad I became a Cobra R nut and met some great people along the way.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Hey Guys, I am a new member on here and figured I would share my stories on my Cobra R's. I have been collecting these for years and kind of been away from forums and the spotlight.
It started when my father had made me bid on a 2000 R with 300 miles back in 2005 on ebay. He wanted one and was persistant about it. Well long story short, he won the bid at a very good price at the time and when the car came in, he looked at it, then looked at me and handed me the key and title and said, it was all mine. What a great "father son" moment that i will never forget.
I went on to accidentally buy a 1995 R at an auction that i literally walked into and could not believe.. It was one running through the auction block. I made a fast decision and purchased it. I later found out after the fact it was BoB Boundarants personal 95 R that he drove to and from work. That was another good day.
And then i just had to complete the collection as I have always been a mustang fanatic. I came across a 1993 R with 59 miles and obviously I had to aquire that one. So thanks to my dad I became a Cobra R nut and met some great people along the way.

VERY cool, and it's got to be great to own one of each! :beer:

Thanks for sharing your story!

Dealer962

Established Member
I was actually at the manchester mustangs unlimited show back 2 summers ago. I was suprised that there were about 5 00 R's that day. Most of them were heavy track enthusiats. great guys! maybe thats where we might of met.

brianz426

Established Member
Several years ago, I got the BFG 95R banner and put it up in my garage. Stared at it for years. One day, I looked from the banner to the two beautiful notchback Foxes sitting in the garage and thought, "they're gone, I'm buyin' a 95R". Sold them both within two weeks and found a 95R #86 with some mechanical issues, but only 12k in Ohio (some may know of this car). Drove it home, then took some time to get the car right. Turned out to be a great car. Sold it after two years to a friend and neighbor (StillIntense on this board). I don't really miss the 95, but now I stare at my 93 Cobra and think it's time for a 2000 R.

Expanding on the story of 95R #86 with this one (jumping on Sargent1's story above). I was at work one day and a coworker (who knew that I collected Cobras) said that a friend of his (Sargent 1) was selling a 95 Cobra R. As I had seen one 95 R since they were built, I didn't believe him (thinking it was a regular 95 Cobra). So I said, "no it's not, it's probably a regular 95 Cobra." He replied, "no, it's an R, number 86". Now he had my attention. Got the contact info from him and called Sargent1 one that night and found out he lived about a mile away from me! Looked at the car that night and gave him the check the next day. Now we attend HPDEs together. Good times...

As some of you may already know I purchased #86 from my new friend Mark (stillintense).

This story really started with the 93R's. When I first heard Ford was going to build a limited production factory race car I had to have one. So I asked a good friend of mine who worked for his family's Ford dealership if they were getting a Cobra "R". "A Cobra what". He's not really a car guy so this reaction did not surprise me. There R came in and some high roller paid way over list so I was out.

Fast forward same discussion with same friend about the '95R, turns out they are getting two. "Hey good buddy I want one, what can you do for me?" He tells me they are selling them for 20k over sticker. If they don't sell, let me know I'll buy one at sticker. I run into him a month or so later. Do you still have the Cobra R's? "No, we could not sell them so the general manager took them to the auction". What???? Thanks buddy??? A few weeks later I notice a '95R parked in front of a local restaurant. It was there (for at least 6 months)every time I went by, it must have belonged to the owner or the chef. I decided to go in one day and talk to the guy about it. Restaurant closed and out of business.

Marriage, kids, houses and other car projects, then the 2000R's come out. Hmm... no I still like the 95's best .... someday. Then I find this forum and I start modding my '98 Cobra for open track events. I subscribed to the Cobra R for sale thread about a year and half ago and then in November I see Mark's post for #86. I brought it home last weekend and I could'nt be happier. I can't wait for Memorial Day Weekend at VIR.

Chris, if you get a chance, pm me I'd like to here the details of your purchase of this car and it's condition.

Thanks to Mark for be a great caretaker of #86 and for being so helpful in the process of me getting the car.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member

Great story--post pics of all 3 together sometime.

TFStang

Established Member
Sweet! You are very lucky to have all 3 and also to score such a great # on your 93R!

flattrack53

Established Member
Looks like an awesome car collection. I hope one day I buy a 93r and a 95r to complete the R collection. Have any more pictures of the race car in the background?

Dealer962

Established Member
Here are a couple pics of the boss shinoda. This is an interesting car because 50 of these were supposed to be built. This car was a parnelli jones tribute and was made way before steve saleen took the shinoda idea with his version of the grabber orange one. This one was created and the Shinoda family did not like the vehicle. They told their man in charge to dissasemble it and sell it as a GT. Well, Jim Klock the guy that is in charge for building shinodas decided to sell it as is. I wound up purchasing it directly from him at shinoda and building a nice relationship with him. I had some fun with it and then sold it to a middle eastern guy down south who owned a sporting goods store. I then found out through the IRS calling me to ask how much I had sold it for. They told me they had seised all his assets and they thought he had fled the country due to tax evasion. Now from what I understand it is owned by a peach farmer in Goergia who purchased it a federal auction. Ahhh the stories of cars sometimes... So long story short... She is a 1 of 1 car.

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread