How did you accquire your R ?

sdfrog177

Established Member
Just purchased a 95r #13/250. Found the car on ebay, drove 1.5 hrs to take a look, purchased car, drove home in it. Pretty simple/borring story but hey its another r in my garage.

Sargent1

Established Member
Several years ago, I got the BFG 95R banner and put it up in my garage. Stared at it for years. One day, I looked from the banner to the two beautiful notchback Foxes sitting in the garage and thought, "they're gone, I'm buyin' a 95R". Sold them both within two weeks and found a 95R #86 with some mechanical issues, but only 12k in Ohio (some may know of this car). Drove it home, then took some time to get the car right. Turned out to be a great car. Sold it after two years to a friend and neighbor (StillIntense on this board). I don't really miss the 95, but now I stare at my 93 Cobra and think it's time for a 2000 R.

drkhrse

Established Member
I blame, and thank, SaleenRose for me getting a 1993 R just over a year ago. I have owned Teal 93 cobra #112 sense ~1998. I always wanted a 93R, I have watched them on ebay and other places for years yet just couldn’t bring myself to sell something else to get one, plus I had never actually seen one in person. One day in late spring of 2006 I decided on a whim to attend the local mustang/Ford show with my dad, he took his 1964 Comet, I took my teal 93 cobra. I was on the far side of the parking lot talking to a friend when I saw a red 1993 Cobra R pull in the lot. I was speechless. There aren’t that many low # cars in Idaho after all. As it turns out I knew the owner, I immediately went over and started talking to him about it. Needless to say I fell in love with the car, the Fox body is one of my favorite mustangs ever and it gets no better than the king daddy, the “R”. There it was right in front of me #104, then I sat in it, really un-comfortable, terrible roll cage, bad seats, I didn’t care I had to have it, and as his post says it was for sale as his wife wanted it gone (at that time). His price was more than I could come up with but is seemed a bit high yet fare so I tried like hell to figure out a way to get it. I got really close to the amount he wanted and went to see him that week. He let me drive it, it rode rough, noisy, still I had to have it. However, I couldn’t talk him down on his price and I had a cap set which I stuck to. I decided I had to have one and started looking harder for one. I got on this forum and posted that I was looking for a 93R, also posted on the SVTOA forum, just as I began to think I may never find one for the price I was willing to pay I sotra let it go and pursued other things. A couple 2-3 months go by and I got an email, “I have a 93R I’ll sell you”. I though ya right, needless to say it was true. It was a mental torment for me as the car was south of Chicago somewhere, and the seller had multiple people interested in it. I was the first one he talked to and he stayed true to his word giving me first refusal to the offers he was getting. Needless to say we talked a LOT, we had numerous nights of 1hr+ phone conversations and I really felt better about buying a car I had never seen, and I made a new friend who I still email with at least monthly. After about 3 months I wired over the money. The price was fare which didn’t help ease my mind as I waited in Idaho for the car to get shipped to SLC, Utah where I took my trailer down on a Sunday AM to get it that afternoon. Needless to say the truck was late, about 8 PM (already dark) I finally got to see my R, #58. It was a little dirty but overall better than I expected. I loaded it up and at 8:30pm my now wife and I hit the road home as we had to work the next day, we got home around 1am.

The car was raced, 6300 miles worth, the interior was completely out of the car (it arrived via UPS in boxes), the suspension has been modified to work much better than stock, It was EXACTLY what I wanted. I’m not a fan of wrapper cars, they have their place just not in my garage. I wanted an R I can drive, race and enjoy. I spent last summer removing the autopower cage (as I don’t fit in side it) and custom building my own roll bar. I am still waiting to hear back from Mark on seats (Hint Hint, :rolling:) . I plan to have a lot of fun with it this summer after I graduate in May, as this car is my graduation present (to myself) for 13 years of college while working full time to get my Mechanical Engineering Degree.

Last edited:

StillIntense

Established Member
Expanding on the story of 95R #86 with this one (jumping on Sargent1's story above). I was at work one day and a coworker (who knew that I collected Cobras) said that a friend of his (Sargent 1) was selling a 95 Cobra R. As I had seen one 95 R since they were built, I didn't believe him (thinking it was a regular 95 Cobra). So I said, "no it's not, it's probably a regular 95 Cobra." He replied, "no, it's an R, number 86". Now he had my attention. Got the contact info from him and called Sargent1 one that night and found out he lived about a mile away from me! Looked at the car that night and gave him the check the next day. Now we attend HPDEs together. Good times...

flattrack53

Established Member
I was 10 years old and in the 5th grade when the 2000 R's came out.My dad picked me up from school that day and we drove to Towson Ford to look at some rare mustang..It turns out it was a 2000 cobra r.I told my dad on the way home, one day I will own one of these cars..A week later I bought my first 2000 Cobra R at the age of 10 years old in playstations grandturismo. So from there on out I started saving all of my money. Got a job sweeping the floors at a local motorcycle shop. Started doing sales at marylands largest motorcycle store 5 years ago..Then one day I decided it was time to find a 2000 R. So,I started scanning all over the internet. I found a Cobra R out of Utah which was the original one from Towson Ford but decided to find one with lower miles. I then log onto svtperformance.com and wrote an Ad in the forsale and wanted section for a low mile R and svttim sent me a link to ROBERTM's forsale ad on teamshelby.com...Robert and I spoke on the car over a 2 day period... Wire transfered the money on a friday and had the car transported to my driveway by Monday morning!!! Most exciting day of my life :)

RogerTx

Established Member
Over the years since the early 90’s, I had been into bracket racing or just fun racing at the local drag strips. That was fun and challenging, especially when I got a new ‘Vette in 2002 and went all out with it establishing a few personal records for the quarter mile with various combinations of bolt-ons, then cam, then heads, etc. You know the story, the one that never ends. Figuring I would eventually blow the engine or want a bigger engine, I put the car back to stock, sold all the race parts (heads, cam, transmission intake, exhaust, etc.) to one guy who then tried to duplicate our results but never did. I sold the car at the right time, as used ‘Vettes like mine in 2004 were still holding their own in the used market.

As you might expect, in a short time, I missed my ‘Vette and the racing experience. I bought a Super Comp dragster and trailer from a racer up in Tennessee and a tow truck, a F-250 PS. My son did all the driving. I just watched and I guess I was the sponsor! We had fun for a few years, but there was no way I was going to continue to fork out over $500 per weekend for just drag racing and retirement was looming over the horizon. The racing effort was run as a business, but that is another story. Believe me, a good CPA can work wonders. I sold the entire racing equipment to a guy out in West Texas (his son wanted to race) and the truck to a local friend of my older son.

Well, retirement came a few months later and I was really bored. I had always wanted another Mustang but had no idea I was going to start looking for a 2000R. I had heard of them, but they were never in my sights. I really wanted an older model ‘Stang (late 60’s when I bought my first car) with a BB engine and gobs of HP and in good shape. Somehow, my son got in the loop and said we ought to look for a 2000R, as the ‘93 and ‘95 never did tickle my fancy too much and the older Mustangs, of the ‘68 to ‘70 vintage and restored were still pricey if you could find one that looked and ran good. Well, my son, being good at the computer, started searching the web and came upon this website. We saw one R owner that said he was going to be selling his R soon. He was in North Carolina and we had been to Tennessee to buy the dragster, so a flight over to NC would not be any different. After we saw the car, we finalized the deal and had the car shipped to Texas. The rest is history. Now waiting for the snow to melt :mj: to drive it again. :-D

TFStang

Established Member
The first time I saw the 00R was in a Motor Trend magazine in the summer of 2000. On the cover they had a yellow Z06, a steel gray Viper & a 00R. I don't know why, but that car just always stayed in my head. I would check the want ads and online auctions from time to time, but never found one that was right for me. I remember the first time I saw one in person was at a local car show shortly after I saw the magazine ad and you would have thought the guy was a celebrity. People were absolutely drooling over the thing. I remember wondering if there was a stipper giving free lap dances the way people were lining up. Years past and a Millenium Yellow Z06 (just like on the cover of that Motor Trend mag) :-Dand a few other cars later, I still wanted that ever illusive 00R. Got close to making a deal a couple times, but no cigar, so I kept looking. Low and behold, a few months ago I find my 00R right in my back yard! I negotiated back and forth with the seller during the course of a couple months and we finally put a deal together. I actually picked the car up a couple weeks ago and it has been in my garage since. This was quite an experince for me as I have been lusting after this car for about 10 years now. It is an absolutely amazing car. John Coletti did a great job with this car to say the least. By far one of my favorite cars that I have ever had the privilege of owning. I can't wait until the weather clears so I can take it out and enjoy it. I still can't believe I have one and find myself staring at the thing everytime I go into my garage. Anyone that has one of these special cars is very fortunate. It is an absolute work of mechanical art. I feel privileged that there were only 300 made and I have one sitting in my garage. Can't wait for Spring!:-D

SnakeBit 50

Bitten by the Beast
Established Member
My story is more about the seller rather than the "purchaser" of a '00 Cobra R!

Last June I was surfing fnsweet.com - a ROUSH enthusiast site - as I was driving a 2008 ROUSH BlackJack convertible (1 of 17 produced in '08). [I was also driving a 2007 Shelby GT (not GT500) and a very mint '68 Mustang GT Fastback].

While online at fnsweet.com, I looked at the "other cars for sale" section and saw a post (by a fellow ROUSH owner) who happened to be selling his 2000 Cobra R. I figured it wouldn't cost me anything to inquire!

We communicated a few times back and forth via email - and....with no real plan to purchase another car (or shall I say - with NO GARAGE SPACE even if I were to win a raffle!!), I offered up a price and unorthodox "payment plan" for #50.

Six months and around 100 emails later - I sent Scot my final payment (as per our agreement) and number 50 arrived three weeks ago!

At first blush, the story is not that exciting....but in this day and age - to have found a seller who provided me the opportunity to buy his car over a six-month time frame - - - now that is unique! Sure, I lived up to my end of the bargain...but so did Scot!

And as a side note, none of the 100+ emails we have exchanged were about "the next payment," etc. Our communications were about our mutual love of cars...our mutual beliefs of Life, in Family and of God.

Thanks Scot! You're quite a guy. And, thanks to you, I now own quite a car!

2000 Cobra R #50/300
3,231 original miles
3rd owner

PS: Over the past six months I sold my ROUSH, my Shelby GT and my '68 GT Fastback - making room for #50 and a new 2010 Shelby GT500 convertible (black with silver stripes!) and a 2010 Ford Ranger!....thus my screen name: SnakeBit 50!

DSC00806.jpg

Last edited:

NVRENUFBOOST

Established Member
In the summer of 2001 I take my brand new 200 mile Saleen to Charlotte Motor Speedway with my 3 brothers and some friends for the annual SAAC meet. We are also taking a 93R and a 93 Cobra which was a clone of the 93R. All during the weekend of thrashing the 93 Cobra and my Saleen we catch up with one of our friends whom my brother had bought his 93R from previously. We're sitting on the infield kicking back with some lunch and watching the other classes go around the track when my buddy says that he plans on selling his 00R soon. I'm like crap, I just bought this Saleen for some ungodly amount so there is no way I could afford it but I told him I wanted first dibs on it just in case I could find a way to come up with the cash. Well about 4 months go by and I get a phone call from him telling me his R is up on Ebay but he's willing to sell to me for about 5 grand less. I'm crapping my pants cause I'm thinking how in the hell do I do this. For some reason a couple of months before this I got an offer for a night job with full time pay for part time work that paid pretty good. So I took the offer and worked two jobs when this comes about I had some cash stored away and bought it and have never looked back.

So one of my brother's had a 93R and I had the 2000R and things are good until one day he calls me and tells me to start looking the the missing link, a 95R. We search high and low just looking for the right one. We garage our cars and never daily drive them but we sure as hell beat the crap out of them when we are driving them, which is often during the warmer time of the year.

One day I'm looking through here and find the right one across the country. After a couple of weeks of negotiations and finding the right delivery company she is now ours for about 3 years now. So the collection is complete with about a dozen other of these wallet emptying toys.

Pretty boring but that's my story.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Robert and I spoke on the car over a 2 day period...

We saw one R owner that said he was going to be selling his R soon. He was in North Carolina...

I actually picked the car up a couple weeks ago and it has been in my garage since.

Six months and around 100 emails later - I sent Scot my final payment (as per our agreement) and number 50 arrived three weeks ago!

I get a phone call from him telling me his R is up on Ebay but he's willing to sell to me for about 5 grand less.
Great stories, guys. Enjoy the cars. You made a smart purchase.

SDW Racing

Established Member
I know most folks here know I bought the 'refurbished' Rosie's Diner car back in March 2008.

At the time the car had been for sale foe a while since it had been repainted and dubbed 'The Joker'. I was not in the market for a 95R at the time, but actually a 00R.

After seeing the comments being made about the car both in online forums as well as nasty grams being sent to the owner in his eBay ad...I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I felt the car needed to be saved. It had an interesting history and came w/ a ton of parts.

All it took was some light prodding from Mr Mustang and my good buddy Cranky. I bought it on eBay for a decent price, picked it up in VA and towed it straight to Mr Mustang's paint booth and had the whole car resprayed in the original 95R Crystal White.

Since I bought the car, I have been busy w/ other projects in life, I have not had the time to drive the car much. I did get it to VIR within a week of getting it out of the paint shop. But thats it.

So the car looks like a normal 95R now. My plan is to recreate the One Lap of America decals and bring the car back to its original look. Unfortunately, I am in the midst of putting my house on the market w/ a planned move to NC sometime this year.

Here it is when Craig Weidner owned it....

normal_Copy%20of%20Cobra7.jpg

Here it is when I bought it (The Joker)....

normal_acd1_3.jpg

As it sits today......

normal_IMG_2529%20%28Large%29.JPG

Thanks, John

Last edited:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member

As a side note in this cars history, the playing cards you see in the picture where actual cards, crazy glued on :bash: and buried in over 20 coats of clear so that you could not feel them underneath :eek: ...... Lot's of fun to hand sand the clear off so I could pry them off the car before painting it back to stock. :rolling:

Bill S.

SnakeBit 50

Bitten by the Beast
Established Member
As a side note in this cars history, the playing cards you see in the picture where actual cards, crazy glued on :bash: and buried in over 20 coats of clear so that you could not feel them underneath :eek: ...... Lot's of fun to hand sand the clear off so I could pry them off the car before painting it back to stock. :rolling:

Bill S.

NICE WORK! Bill. You saved one! :beer:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
NICE WORK! Bill. You saved one!

To date 4 95's, 1 2000, and I have a hook on a 93 soon to be at my shop for "restification" of it's body. :dancenana: I must be doing something to attract all of these "R's" to a simple shop like mine :coolman:

Bill S.

PS: Only on the Rosie Diner car did I leave a signature and a date "Bill S. was here on xx/xx/xx". I figure 80 years down the road when they are next doing the restoration on this car it will make them scratch their heads and wonder what that was all about :D

SDW Racing

Established Member
NICE WORK! Bill. You saved one! :beer:

Yup...Bill did a great job restoring this car, I can absolutely recommend his shop with no hesitation. With all the clear that was on the car, Bill and his crew really had to work hard at getting it done right and it shows in the results!

:rockon::banana::beer:

SDW Racing

Established Member
PS: Only on the Rosie Diner car did I leave a signature and a date "Bill S. was here on xx/xx/xx". I figure 80 years down the road when they are next doing the restoration on this car it will make them scratch their heads and wonder what that was all about :D

Billbo...this is making me crazy! I lay awake at night wondering where yer tag line is! I also wonder if you stuck a couple of boogers on the steering wheel before delivery. :fm:

BTW - Bill is the one that got that stupid "Field of Dreams" voice rolling around in my head about the Rosie Car.....

citizen_kaneRosebud_sm.jpg

"IF YOU BUY IT....I WILL CUM"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread