Well that didn't take long

Zemedici

Established Member
why are you worried about selling a car you JUST bought?
yes it was in an accident. These things happen. How often do you change vehicles?

SVTDarin

Established Member
Repaired cars can be ok if fixed correctly and getting compensated for diminished value helps. My wifes 2015 Cooper S got hot hard in the rear and was originally written as 13k in damage, it ended up being 18k total when done. We didn't want the car fixed either and it's funny reading comments about making sure the insurance co. totals it. You don't have a choice, it's up to the insurance company not you. Anyway we ended up getting $3800 in diminished value and you would never know it was hit. Pics with the back half body panels removed.

Attachments

• 123_1 (1).jpeg
    123_1 (1).jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 176

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Wish i had diminished value up here.

Op sucks I know trust me.
I hate dealing with insurance and other stupid people.
Last car I had with accident almost cost me 10k to get rig of after it was repaired, CARFAX can eat a gigantic bucket of dicks.
They are a good idea half thought out.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What about the fact that it was parked in a compact spot? Will the police/truck driver/insurance company have anything to say about it?

That seriously sucks though man.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ah gotcha.
Are you speaking from experience, Dave? ;)

Lol no but I own commercial property and I can’t even begin to tell you the number of stories I’ve heard over the years of people trying to get me involved when the police won’t do anything or find fault for an accident because it’s private property.

Or people get in an accident and want my insurance info. I usually politely tell them to GFY like the time a lady in an Escalade backed into a concrete base of a light pole, smashed bumper, tailgate, and rear window shattered. She wanted my info for her insurance cause she didn’t see the pole even with a backup camera therefore it must be my fault. She threatened to call the police I told her go ahead.

She called me every name in the book and I just laughed and hung up on her.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
CH Robinson

I just sat down with the owner of the company I work for (It is a large generator manufacture) I explained to him what happened as he was out of town. I told him that I would not feel whole getting a repaired vehicle back that was damaged to that extent and only being a month old, he looked at me and said I wouldn't want that car back either lol... So here's the plan, in the case it will be repaired he said sell the car, carmax or where ever and let me know what the difference is from what you paid for the car and we (the company i work for) will cut a check for the difference. Then they will go after the trucking company.

Needles to say I am very happy!

Wow, that is great. You are a lucky guy in that regard.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
A former colleague had a BMW 540i that had the rear end totaled. The body shop cut and welded an entire back half to the car. You could see the weld joint under the paint.

Aside from being able to see anything left over from the repair, I wouldn't have any problem.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So you keeping the car or you dumping anr getting a new one?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The difference between what it's worth before and after the wreck is diminished value. If it is filed under the OTHER companies insurance (be it through yours for subrogation or directly them) you can and should file for this. This eliminates the entire issue of "Carmax" and your company stepping in.

No one "decides" to total or not. Your state has a limit of damage to value that when exceed dictates if a vehicle is totaled or not, nothing else.

You have two options if everything you said so far is correct.

1.) Have car repaired, pocket diminished value and drive the car.

2.)Have car repaired, trade in, use diminished value check to offset negative equity.

These are the only options you should be looking for based on the info given.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Scumbag! I would shoot for having it totaled. Aint no one buying shit without being raped with a CarFax report with major damage.

I bet he will be willing to pay a pretty penny to keep his job or at least his freedom lol

I look forward to hearing how ur meeting went lol nothing illegal about that. The court makes ppl pay restitution all the time jus be careful what u say and how u say it cause its not illegal for someone to record a conversation between the person he/she is speaking with but if I were u id record the conversation of ur iPhone or android u have a record for urself.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Tell me about it, i just want to get this over with, interesting enough, the total repair bill is 7k, I would of thought more...like 12k

The car is not finished yet.
I had a 97 GT that got absolutely smooshed when I was stopped at a light. At the time, my father was an insurance adjuster and said it was definitely totalled.
My insurance came out and said they would fix it (against my wishes. They cut me a check for $5000, and then they had to end up cutting 2 more supplemental checks before the job was over. Total cost was nearly $10k in repairs! Yup,

Make sure you have the checks sent directly to you, not the body shop.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The car is not finished yet.
I had a 97 GT that got absolutely smooshed when I was stopped at a light. At the time, my father was an insurance adjuster and said it was definitely totalled.
My insurance came out and said they would fix it (against my wishes. They cut me a check for $5000, and then they had to end up cutting 2 more supplemental checks before the job was over. Total cost was nearly $10k in repairs! Yup,

Make sure you have the checks sent directly to you, not the body shop.
If he still owes on the vehicle they will cut the checks only to him AND the bank with the loan. He will than have to work with them on how to cash it/spend it. Some banks won't let you do that and require the checks be cut to the shop.

Everyone STOP saying "I'd push for it to be totaled". There is not way to PUSH for it to be totaled. It either has enough damage to be totaled or not. The insurance company doesn't care one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread