03 Cobra vs 2010 gt500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jroc

Established Member
Jesus Christ...all this Termi vs. GT500 crap....it's on all the forums....and the Termi guys all say ...oh yeah, I could afford the payment, but I don't wanna finance..blah blah blah...if you Termi people were so goddamned practical you wouldn't be driving/spending money modding your Terminators...you'd be driving friggin' Focuses...NOT SVT....or Corrollas

In all honesty, you people sound jealous....very childish, if you ask me

And yes, 50 grand for a GT500 is a freakin' bargain for what you get in that car

I don't know if I would really call it jealousy. Most Terminator owners including myself are very fond of our cars. To be honest yes I don't make the income to be able to afford a GT500. If I did I would love to have one, but I don't go around longing to get one either as I'm content with my Cobra. To be honest if I had the means to be able to afford another vehicle in the GT500's price range I would buy a nice F150(probably a Raptor) to compliment my Cobra before I would buy a GT500. If someone were to ask me if I'd rather have a 2010 GT500 or my Terminator I wouldn't hesitate to say the GT500, but I don't go around with dreams of owning one either because I'm very satified with my Cobra and its performance, and like it alot. I wanted one for a long time before I bought it back in 12/06. I use to go to Ford dealerships to look at them back when they were new car.

I understand that the Terminator croud has given the GT500 croud alot of greef(particularly when they first released) about their cars for whatever reason,(and its BS) but many people would genuinly just rather own a Terminator. I think some of it might have to do with the image the cars present. The Terminator has become kind of the poor mans or underdogs fast car, whereas you have to be somewhat well off(not necessarilly rich) to afford a GT500. Someone who would consider a GT500, might also consider a Corvette or a used Viper or something.

I agree that a GT500 isn't an overpriced car, as its a very nice vehicle aswell as a great performer with a ton of potential left in it. Its the best Mustang built to date. If all you're looking for though is a performance bang for your buck then a Terminator is currently probably the better deal as you can get into one for less than $20K, but like has already been argued a Foxbody might be an even better deal yet. Like my buddy Dave who owns an 04 Cobra and a performance shops says a well built Foxbody with 380/400 whp will have no problem beating a Terminator making 500 whp. You get a Foxbody and build you a nice 408w/427w, and you got a badass performing little Mustang.

To be honest I just love Mustangs. Its just the car I like, and I love owning a really fast one. Honestly a new Z06 is a much better performance car than a 03/04 Cobra, but I honestly wouldn't trade my Cobra for one as I love Fords, and Mustangs. The only performance car than I would rather have than a fast Mustang is a FGT.

Last edited:

melissa809

Established Member
Well, I'm a little older than you guys......36.....and Carroll Shelby....and the original GT500 is an American icon...not to mention the freakin' engine in my car is unreal...and yeah....you can cry about how heavy my car is, but you Termis are right behind me

And lets not get into the whole IRS argument

BUT..again, Terminator owners seem to be VERY defensive...whereas GT500 owners are quite humble

Go figure....and btw....I am an average blue-collar worker

SlowSVT

Established Member
i loved my terminator and was hesitant to replace it with a soild rear axle car because i love the auto-x and owning a 2000 cobra r made me instantly fall in love with road course racing. i haven't made it to a road course of any kind yet, but this car certainly out handles my lowered cobra. as it should, the chassis were unchanged since '79, with the exception of the shoe-horned-in after thought irs. i agree that the shelby's should have a new irs system, but i hope that when it finds its way back to the mustang platform, ford designs the entire platform together.

don't get me wrong, i loved my 2004. it played a crucial role in the development of its later version, the gt-500, and that will lead to bigger and better....

:dw:

This post has me baffled. Perhaps you could clear a few things up for me.

I’m not shocked by the fact you were a Terminator or a GT500 owner who oversimplifies a topic. What I find amazing is that you own(ed) a 2000 Cobra R and based on your “observations” seem to know so little about the SN95 and even the Fox. Do you actually believe there are parts other then a few nuts and bolts were carried over from a 79 Mustang all the way to 04? (this statement alone speaks volumes). Not only that but you stated you’re preference for road racing yet you swapped an IRS out of a Terminator for a straight axle :??: Not sure if you realize this but that 10 year old Cobra R which you somehow believe is made from parts pulled from the 79 NOS bin happens to be the best handling Mustang made to date.

I hope that Cobra R found its way into more capable hands :nonono:

Well, I'm a little older than you guys......36.....and Carroll Shelby....and the original GT500 is an American icon...not to mention the freakin' engine in my car is unreal...and yeah....you can cry about how heavy my car is, but you Termis are right behind me

And lets not get into the whole IRS argument

BUT..again, Terminator owners seem to be VERY defensive...whereas GT500 owners are quite humble

Go figure....and btw....I am an average blue-collar worker

Well I’m even older then you but its obvious you haven’t learned much in all those years. What’s with the “average blue collar worker” description? Does that make a difference :shrug:

Here is another perspective

The only real contribution Carroll Shelby made to your GT500 is that his name is adorned to the deck lid and on the owners manual. Ford developed that car and it’s a good thing they did. Building cars by the 10’s, 100’s of thousands should be left to the professionals.

Are you proclaiming your car will beat any Terminator? I know quite a few Terminator pilots who would love to have you at a stop light. Your overlooking the fact the Shelby has 50 cubes on the Terminator which is significant. I’m sure in a race you would cry “fowl”! if the guy in the little 4.6 turned up his boost to cancel out your displacement advantage. The bigger 5.4 is nice and they seem to be holding up very well. I just wish they did it with bore and not by resorting to all that stroke :cuss:

That IRS thing is a sore spot huh? Maybe Ford will give us one in 2012 if they haven't been reading the scores of post by Terminator owners who's thinking is restricted to straight line performance. It's likely at this point they feel unappreciated of all the expense and hassle of equipping the car with one in the first place when they see that mountain of derelict IRS rusting away :nonono:

Now do I sound like a “defensive” Terminator owner? There is nothing to “defend”. These cars to me are the perfect combination of performance, handling and looks above any car made. It’s not without its flaws but those are easy fixes and when you’re done you’ve got a car that is more then a match for most everything that wears a license plate. My ego can handle loosing a race and I get a front row seat seeing a fast car. I do admit it’s impressive when a little 4 cylinder car put a beat down on a V8 Goliath. Just throwing cubes at the problem is not as imaginative.

Any Terminator owner who rags on a GT500 should have his or her head examined and visa versa! “Ragging” on the owner is an entirely different matter which is what most of the static here is all about. They are both wildly fun cars to dive and whether one corners better or can beat it by 2 tenths of a second I could care less. All it takes is money, some elbow grease and you can beat any car made. At that point comparing cars is pointless as we all know and who keeps these things stock?

Long live both cars :bowdown:

................I don't mind a little sibling rivalry but I wonder if the M3 and M5 guys duke it out like this?

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
One thing I've noticed with Termi owners, is that they are very defensive.....don't know why

the Terminater is an awesome car...especially for the money

BUT...to deny that the GT500 is a superior car is naive....hell, that's the way the car business goes...I have an 09 GT500, and yes, the 2010 is superior to my car, as will the 2011 will be inferior to the 2010

AND, if you want to delve deeper into this argument, the Corvette ZR1 is a superior car....a friggin' Ferrarri is a better car

When will this pissing match end?

NOW...can we get back to bashing people who choose to have LARGE families....hahahahaha

I think it goes both ways. How many times have I read a post in this section where someone says they were not impressed with their driving experience of the GT500 and people get all bent out of shape and jump down the op's throat. If anyone says anything negative about the GT500, people in here do get defensive. If I spent 50K on a GT500 I would be defensive as well.

As for Terminator owners, we get defensive as well as we should. Our cars have faults and are older but that doesn't take away from how great they are. Both the GT500 and Terminators are not perfect from the factory but once you get into the modding conversation, and which car can be made faster things seem to get out of hand on here pretty quick. Stock for stock the new Shelby is a better car, and it should be like others have stated.

I had the chance to buy either when I was in the market, but decided with the Terminator because that is what I like. I am "that guy" who could afford a GT500 but didn't want to spend that kind of coin on a car that will sit 6 months out of the year. That is me though.

Maybe some Terminator owners don't want to admit that there is a newer updated version of their car out, but by the same token, maybe some GT500 owners don't want to admit that a car 7 years older is still kicking ass and being compared to their 50k car.

Can't we all just get along

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Been my experience that when you start calling people "retards" (post 76) for offering an opinion, then things start to go sideways. FWIW, "butt hurt" implies easily offended and seems to be used to further aggravate a bad situation.

Personally, I don't use the word "retard" because I can imagine what it would be like to have a mentally handicapped child and would never want to tempt fate.

And, oh yeah, I think Terminators are cool! :beer:

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Mark originally asked a question, wanting to know who here has gone from a Terminator to a GT500, and if so, what are/were your impressions. Pretty simple stuff.

I think the "winter blahs" syndrome is setting in. I see this on a lot of sites; people just start flaming and peeing on threads. I'm sure many of us would rather be out driving our cars than arguing on the internet.

Great cars all around. Buy them. Mod them. Enjoy them.

/thread

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
^^why i never want to live up north!:bash:

Oh, it's not that bad... We get months of perfect racing weather, and way less miles on the cars because they are put away. You learn to appreciate what you have, when you take that first ride in spring, it's always a thrill, no matter how used to power you are.

Hijack, inc.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
^^why i never want to live up north!:bash:

Well living up North gives us time in the shop over the Winter to do the mods and maintenance on the cars we don't have time to do during racing season. :read:

I like the change of seasons but Winter is just too damn long. That's why us guys from the North get cabin fever so bad and when we finally do get to the track we're driving with our hair on fire the whole time!! :dancenana:

96slowbra

Established Member
:dw:

This post has me baffled. Perhaps you could clear a few things up for me.

I’m not shocked by the fact you were a Terminator or a GT500 owner who oversimplifies a topic. What I find amazing is that you own(ed) a 2000 Cobra R and based on your “observations” seem to know so little about the SN95 and even the Fox. Do you actually believe there are parts other then a few nuts and bolts were carried over from a 79 Mustang all the way to 04? (this statement alone speaks volumes). Not only that but you stated you’re preference for road racing yet you swapped an IRS out of a Terminator for a straight axle :??: Not sure if you realize this but that 10 year old Cobra R which you somehow believe is made from parts pulled from the 79 NOS bin happens to be the best handling Mustang made to date.

I hope that Cobra R found its way into more capable hands :nonono:

sorry, i wasn't completely clear. i owned a very stock 2000r, and that is the way it stayed. i also owned a very tastefully modded terminator. they were both very tight in the corners, obviously the r was superior. i never swapped out the irs, i was referring to selling these cars and replacing them with a solid axle 2010 shelby gt-500.

and yes, there were new shocks, springs, and sway bars; but the platform was unchanged from '79.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Oh, it's not that bad... We get months of perfect racing weather, and way less miles on the cars because they are put away. You learn to appreciate what you have, when you take that first ride in spring, it's always a thrill, no matter how used to power you are.

Hijack, inc.

Agree 100%...My girl only has 2K on the clock (14 months old.)
And I so look forward to those spring cruises.

But for now, it's making snowmen and snow boarding with my boys:beer:

hijack over............

melissa809

Established Member
hey I have 5 kids!

Doesn't mean I don't have my fair share of fun :)

Well then you are ahead of the game...lol....

I'm actually contemplating this having kids thing....of course, I want to be married first....hmmm..that's the hard part....hahaha

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
dont do it :) j/k .. I am a little jealous of my single friends every once in a while.

Anyway I do miss my 04. The IRS was nice for what it was. the car was lighter and felt it.
But I wouldn't go back to it from the '10 gt500. interior alone.

And those crappy rods in the gt500 give me nightmares :)

you have 03 or gt500?

melissa809

Established Member
I have an 09 GT500 vert...bought it in May..my DD is an 03 GT vert 5-speed

My brother turned me on to this whole muscle car thing when he bought his 04 Termi new....when he threw it in first, and I slammed back into my seat....at that precise moment, I got the bug

It was tough getting the money together for the Shelby..I did finance it, but I found a way....

Me and my Dad went to Ford to look at GT's....and I always wanted a Shelby, anyways....I already wrote it off, until my Dad suggested I call the dealer and see if they could come down on the price

Most fathers would stress the whole PRACTICALITY thing, but not my father...lol...he was born with a hole in his heart, wasn't supposed to live past 18....so he has a whole different outlook on life

Anyways, my car note is not small, by any means, but I'm fortunate enough to have a well paying job

As far as having kids and getting married, my Dad...who is happily married to my Mom...lol...says don't do it, plus they think I'm too old for kids now, anyways...36

BUT with that being said, I can't imagine how awesome it must be to have a child...actually, your own family

spincobra03

Established Member
Jesus Christ...all this Termi vs. GT500 crap....it's on all the forums....and the Termi guys all say ...oh yeah, I could afford the payment, but I don't wanna finance..blah blah blah...if you Termi people were so goddamned practical you wouldn't be driving/spending money modding your Terminators...you'd be driving friggin' Focuses...NOT SVT....or Corrollas

In all honesty, you people sound jealous....very childish, if you ask me

And yes, 50 grand for a GT500 is a freakin' bargain for what you get in that car[/QUOTE

Who's jealous?? I love the car I drive. I cant speak for everyone but I can for myself, I CAN afford a gt500 :lol:. Im not sure why this "termi/GT500 crap" bothers you so much. Its just a discussion. I had two different deposits on (2) 2010's and decided for what I wanted out of the car, a whippled cobra was just as fun for less money. I just made a different choice.
And BTW carrol shelby had next to nothing to do with the car your driving today.

TaraFirma

Established Member
Thats cool. I wasn't trying to hate on the north or anything like that. I live in Texas where it's pretty much track weather all year round. The military does have me in the middle east for a year every other year though, so i know how it feels to be out of the drivers seat for a long period of time. It keeps the miles off too.

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Thats cool. I wasn't trying to hate on the north or anything like that. I live in Texas where it's pretty much track weather all year round. The military does have me in the middle east for a year every other year though, so i know how it feels to be out of the drivers seat for a long period of time. It keeps the miles off too.

Thank you for your service to our country.:thumbsup:

Track weather is not hot, muggy and sunny. It's cool, crisp air with low humidity and high barometer. Spring and Fall up here is spectacular for racing.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thank you for your service to our country.:thumbsup:

Track weather is not hot, muggy and sunny. It's cool, crisp air with low humidity and high barometer. Spring and Fall up here is spectacular for racing.

Yes, my GT500 made about an extra 50 hp in that cold 50 degree air at Road America laast Fall! :dancenana: That thing pulled like a freight train and all I have is a tune and a JLT CAI. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread